Recommendation to householders after the log fires in Conwy and Gwynedd
A ADVICE was issued on the prevention of chimney fires following two incidents in someday.
The primary came about simply earlier than 5 p.m. on Wednesday January 6 in Penmaenmawr. Two units are current and two individuals are evacuated.
A spokesperson for the North Wales Hearth and Rescue Service mentioned: “There have been no accidents. This was brought on by a build-up of soot.”
The second incident occurred simply after 8:30 p.m. on Y Ffor, Pwllheli, Gwynedd.
A tool was current.
The fireplace division issued the next discover:
- All chimneys and ducts needs to be cleaned and checked to make sure they’re freed from particles and in excellent working order earlier than the heating season. A blocked or defective chimney may cause each chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisoning, so it is extremely vital to make use of a certified skilled chimney sweep like these licensed by the Nationwide Chimney Sweepers Affiliation.
- The common upkeep of your chimney will rely upon the gas you burn – if you happen to burn oil or fuel your chimney needs to be swept yearly, Bituminous – coal twice a 12 months, wooden as much as 4 instances a 12 months and smokeless coals no less than yearly.
- Don’t burn moist wooden – all burnt wooden ought to have a moisture content material of not more than 17 p.c.
- When planning to warmth your private home, you will need to buy the proper dimension equipment on your room – an equipment that’s too massive won’t ever be used sizzling sufficient to volatilize all of the gas within the wooden and unburned gas will move away. by way of the chimney as smoke. and condense within the flue as extraordinarily flammable creosote.
There was additionally a small outside hearth.
This occurred round 6:50 p.m. in Llysfaen.
A spokesperson for the fireplace division mentioned: “It was a backyard hearth uncontrolled. A tool was current.”