Discover Cube celebrates the return of science! Reopening of Orange Country and Los Angeles branches on May 28, 2021
“We are delighted to finally welcome our friends from the Cube to discover a ‘New Cube’ where families can explore, engage and experience the science behind daily activities,” said Joe adams, CEO, Discovery Cube. “Thanks to generous contributions from our donors, corporate partners, and state and local governments, we were able to spend the past year upgrading our facilities and enhancing the science experience with all new STEM exhibitions and activities.
Multi-million dollar renovation
Discovery Cube Orange County and Los Angeles underwent extensive interior and exterior renovations, totaling more than $ 10 million. To ensure the health and safety of museum employees and visitors, each campus location has implemented several “ science-safe ” facilities, including a MERV13 HVAC filtration system with UV lamps, as well as the adoption anti-COVID guidelines and protocols. Additional upgrades to both sites include hands-free washrooms, on-site cleaning crews, a contactless ticketing system, and upgrades to paint, carpet and more.
New STEM exhibitions and activities
Some of the highlights of the reopening include several new state-of-the-art STEM exhibits, immersive science adventures, and an interactive game for kids in Kindergarten to Grade 6. the Orange County The campus will feature four new STEM themed areas with over 15 new interactive exhibits while Los Angeles will unveil five new thematic spaces and more than 10 new interactive exhibits. Both sites will feature many of the STEM favorites as before, including the Inspector Training Course, Early Learners, Planetary Research Station and more.
- What’s new in OC?
- Organic waste laboratory: The new exhibit teaches children about the benefits of composting and renewable waste and includes the all new interactive game “The World of Organic Waste”. Sponsored by Orange County Waste & Recycling.
- Hockey Science: Young hockey fans will score big with this exhibit as they engage in several new activities including game simulation, science problem solving, observation and interaction with the game. Sponsored by the Samueli Foundation and the Anaheim Ducks.
- Physics laboratory: Encouraging hands-on exploration and observation, the new physics lab will introduce children to the relationship between objects, forces and energy. The Physics Lab features seven new activities, including a Raceway, Nail Bed, Paper Plane Creation, Aerodynamics Chamber, Laser Maze, and more. Sponsored by the California Natural Resources Agency and Mr. and Mrs. James “Walkie” Ray
- What’s new in Los Angeles?
- STEM Festival: Includes five STEM-themed areas and over 10 hands-on activities and adventures showcasing the invention and inspiration of STEM-based innovators and industries. Sponsored by Chevron Corporation
- Imagination Station for our young learners: Parents and educators will love this place for our little visitors as it stimulates their imaginations with concepts like reading books, listening and playing music, role-playing games and much more. Sponsored by First 5 of Los Angeles
“All of our exhibits correlate with next generation scientific standards. We’ve also created exhibits that allow kids to explore the engineering design process by asking questions, exploring solutions, designing models, testing prototypes, evaluating performance, and then starting over. again to improve their design! ” mentionned Tina Rolewicz, Vice President of Education at Discovery Cube. “While we welcome teachers and students to Cubes for field trips, teachers can rest assured that their field trip program will meet grade-level standards as their students have fun interacting with them. exhibitions.
Scientific security protocols
Safe science is the best science! In accordance with national and local guidelines, Discovery Cube instituted a number of health and safety protocols as part of the reopening.
- All employees and volunteers who work at Discovery Cube are vaccinated
- Guests are encouraged to pre-purchase their tickets online prior to their visit
- Masks are mandatory for all employees and guests over three years old
- Guests encouraged to safely distance themselves on site
- Museum capacity will be reduced to 50% on OC and LA campuses’
- Disinfection stations have been placed in / around both campuses’
- Discovery Cube’s Clean Crew will actively clean and disinfect common areas and exhibits.
For additional health and safety instructions, customers are encouraged to visit www.DiscoveryCube.org for more information.
Plan your visit
The Discovery Cube will reopen both locations with health and safety measures in place from Friday May 28 of 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. through Memorial Day, Monday May 31. Discovery Cube will be open from Thursday to Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and guests are encouraged to purchase tickets in advance. For more information on ticket prices, membership, summer camp and Covid-19 safety guidelines, you can visit www.DiscoveryCube.org.
About Discovery Cube
The Discovery Science Foundation serves as the educational and nonprofit program development arm for Discovery Cube Orange County and Los Angeles. Established in 1989, the Discovery Cube continues to inspire, educate and impact millions of young minds through science-driven programs and exhibits. Discovery Cube was named one of Orange County’s “10 Most Trusted Brands” and received the National Service Medal from the White House Institute of Museums and Library Services in 2014. The year Latest, Discovery Cube took a digitally-driven approach to STEM Education with the launch of Discovery Cube Connect, a digital platform for the development and distribution of interactive STEM educational offerings, activities and gameplay. For more information visit discoverycube.org and discoverycubeconnect.org
Follow the news on our social networks (@discoverycubela, @discoverycubeoc, @oceanquestoc, @discoverycubeconnect).
SOURCE discovery cube