Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that you cannot see, taste or smell. It is created when fuel, such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal, is burned. CO from these sources can build up in your home and poison everyone, including your pets. November is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Awareness Month, so it’s a great time to educate yourself and your family about this potentially deadly danger.
How does carbon monoxide poisoning occur?
CO enters your bloodstream and prevents blood from carrying oxygen to your organs and tissues. Too little oxygen can cause headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea, fainting or even death.
People with heart disease or respiratory problems are particularly at risk of serious health effects from CO exposure. Infants, young children, pregnant women and the elderly are also more vulnerable to its effects.
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Home
There are several things you can do to prevent CO poisoning in your home:
– Install a battery operated CO detector in each bedroom of your home and check the batteries monthly.
– Never use a portable generator inside your home or garage, or near an open window, door, or vent where exhaust gases can enter.
– Do not idle your car inside a garage, even if you open the garage door. Fumes can accumulate quickly in an enclosed space.
– Gas clothes dryers with clogged vents can also pose a CO hazard. Make sure your dryer vents are cleaned regularly and never run the dryer without adequate ventilation.
Dyer Vent Wizard is committed to helping homeowners protect their families from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from gas dryers. Our professional dryer vent cleaning service will remove anything that blocks proper ventilation, including lint, clothes, dryer sheets, and nests.
At Dryer Vent Wizard, we provide reliable dryer duct cleaning services. Call us today at 815-215-2090 to schedule a service.
Will County Dryer Vent Wizard