A homeowner urges people to have their chimneys swept

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (KFVS) – After a chimney fire on Thursday, a homeowner urges others to have their chimneys swept.

“If we hadn’t paid attention to the noise and investigated it, we could have had a very big fire,” said Jean Cole, owner.

Cole said Halloween night by the fireplace took a spooky turn.

“We heard the fireplace roar and we couldn’t figure out why it was roaring. So I checked outside and saw smoke coming out of the chimney which shouldn’t have happened with a gas fireplace and my daughter looked up the chimney and saw a glow,” she said.

Cole said their fireplace used to be wood-burning, but when they switched to gas they didn’t think they would have any problems.

“It was a wood-burning fireplace, which is why there was creosote in the chimney and apparently it probably hadn’t been clean for a while,” she said.

Cole said to have it checked out by a professional.

“You need a licensed chimney sweep. I guess they are still called chimney sweeps and I have used them before in other homes and they will come and so any necessary inspections,” Cole said.

Flame Masters Chimney Service owner Jordan Masters says it’s extremely important to clean and inspect your chimney.

“Every time you think about it, you’re building a fire inside your house. You want to make sure it’s done in the safest and most appropriate way possible,” he said.

The masters said that a chimney fire could blow a house up in flames.

“You see houses burning all the time from a chimney fire that could have been avoided if the chimney had been inspected and cleaned before use.”

Copyright 2019 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Source link